Sunday, May 23, 2010

Rockin R Triathalon

Yesterday (May 22), I competed in the Rockin' R Triathlon in Gruene, Texas. It was a great event, with about 350 people there participating!!

We started off our event with a 275 meter swim in the chilly 65 degree water of the Guadalupe River. Wet suits were allowed, but I didn't own one, so I just had to swim in my shorts and sports bra! I barely noticed the cold at first, until I realized I couldn't breathe! Once I caught my breath again, everything went smoothly. My swim took me 5 minutes and 58 seconds. I was the 8th person in my age group to finish the swim.

We jumped out of the water, ran to the transition area, and started on our 12 mile bike on the hilly country roads in Gruene. The hills were awful, and there were more than I expected, even for the hill country. Finally, after 53 minutes and 37 seconds, I finished the bike ride! I was the 15th person in my age group to finish the ride.

Then, we hopped off the bikes and started the 3.3 mile run. The first hill we went up was pretty steep, but the rest of the run was flat road. We ran around the city of Gruene, and it was absolutely beautiful!!! I finished my run in 32 minutes and 57 seconds. That's running about a 10 minute mile!! (A little slower than I normally go, but for getting that time after swimming and biking, I am pretty proud of myself!) I was the 10th person in my age group to finish the run.

My overall time for completing the race was 1 hour 36 minutes. I came in 15th out of 21 people in my age group (25-29), and I placed 197th overall. I am really proud of my time, and the fact that I improved in my transitions!! The first transition from swim to bike took me only 3 minutes (where the last time it took me over 8 minutes, since I knocked things over and essentially had no idea what I was doing...). My second transition from bike to run took me only 39 seconds! :-) The race itself was incredibly fun and the scenery in the hill country was so beautiful. The weather was great, too!

After the race was over, my friends and I hoped in some tubes for a relaxing trip down the river. Then we treated ourselves to a dinner at the Gristmill, a great restaurant in the city. Gruene is a really fun, small, historic town and I really loved spending the entire day there!!

Here are a few pictures from the event:

My friend Kimberly and I, post race

Standing in the transition area with the city's water town right behind us?!?! I couldn't resist the picture!!

Yes, that's right. I ROCKED this triathlon!! :-)

15th in my age group, 197th overall!! :-)


1 comment:

  1. congrats!!! that sounds like so much fun! gruene would be such a fun place to do a race.

    ReplyDelete